Now that I've got one horse head blocked in, doing the second one is much easier, because I have the first one to take measurements from. In the pictures below, I'm measuring the width of the forehead.(Just a reminder. Click on each picture to view the large version)
Below you see the way I block in the lower jaw on the right side of the head. (fig. 1)I roll clay and put one end at the point where the top of the jaw would be on the skull. (fig. 2) I swipe my thumb while placing the rolled clay. This gives you the feel of the jaw. (fig. 3)Here I've smoothed out the lower jaw, mindful of the fact that the jaw is spread wider in the upper area and comes to a kind of a long triangle shape where the front teeth would be. You can follow the progress across in the photo's below.
Final photographs of the clay as it stands at the end of the day today. I decided to open the mouth of the front horse. Adding some story and personality to the front horse. I may close it later. It's part of the process.
The Lemon at work....