Saturday, March 15, 2008

Down from the High Lonesome (p4) It Begins

Well I'm entering these blogs today in reverse. Starting at the end of the process of creating the horses armature first and the first part of the process last, because that's the format of this blog. What you enter last will appear first.. Kinda confusin ain't it?
The reason you don't see a photo above this section, is because that's what I start with... Nothing. Just air. It's up to me to fill the air above my sculpting stand with something of beauty and worth.
That's a daunting task when you have to keep creating to keep the galleries, and the people who produce your work happy.
It's kinda like writing a story. You have to start with that first word. The armature for a clay, is kinda like that first word. Once you start, you can eventually get to the end of the story. Hopefully making it interesting and fulfilling for those who read or see it.
So lets start.
First thing all artist's have to do is decide on the size of a painting or a sculpture. In sculpture and more exactly, in bronze art, you have to decide what it will cost to produce what you have in mind, because that will eventually determin what it will sell for.
Doing two riders on two horses is going to cost double and sell for double of what a single horse and rider will sell for. So to keep it in a certain pricing range at the end, I've decided to do a clay half the size of last horse and rider piece I did.
Once I come up with a size, I print out a drawing of a horse to the scale I'm going to do it in. This will determine the eventual length and height of the piece I'm creating.

No comments: